Planning to move abroad?
We will arrange a comfortable and safe move for you to a new place with transportation of all your personal belongings
Essential Information for a Smooth Relocation
Preparing well in advance is crucial for a smooth moving day. Refer to this page for tips and guidelines to assist you in your preparation.
During the preparation for your move, we suggest the following:
- Remove valuable items like money, credit cards, and jewelry, which are not covered by transportation insurance and could create a wrong impression if lost.
- Book a kennel for your pets in advance to reduce stress during the move.
- Take photos of disassembled furniture to help with reassembly at the destination, although a 3rd party service may still be necessary.
- Check for original packing and security materials of your electronic and computer equipment, and secure the hard disk. Backup important files and transport them yourself.
- Ensure availability by phone or email during the move.
- Anticipate a delay in delivery, and consider excess luggage or separate airfreight shipments for some items.
- Set apart the items that should be packed last, such as first aid and toilet articles, small tools, and toys for children.
- Confirm the compatibility of your electrical appliances in the new country and consider purchasing multi-system TVs and DVD/Blue Ray/Home cinema sets.
- Provide instructions for moving a waterbed.
- Take pictures of valuable items before moving, with dated pictures being preferable.
- Keep aside items that should not be packed with the shipment, such as jewelry, personal documents, and clothes to be carried by you personally.
- Remove printer cartridges.
- Only ship photographs for which you have negatives or digital copies, keeping them separate or in storage.
- Donate or sell unneeded food and clothing.
- For air freight, remove all lithium batteries and include them in the sea freight container or crate.
- Prior to the moving day, arrange for disconnection of appliances, removal of lights and carpeting, etc. You may request our Handyman Service for assistance.
- Identify and mark larger items or boxes that won’t be moved.
- Avoid packing liquids, aggressive, and flammable substances.
Do not forget:
Prior to leaving, ensure that:
- Your gas, water, and electricity meters have been read and you have taken photos of them.
- Your lease has been canceled.
- Automatic payments for unnecessary domestic services or utilities are canceled.
- Your mail is being forwarded to your contact address.
- You have appointed and authorized someone to take care of any remaining matters after your departure.
To avoid being charged for subscriptions you no longer need, remember to cancel the following services before you leave:
- Sport clubs
- Internet provider
Some miscellaneous tasks you should take care of before leaving:
- Cancel or revise the continuation of any insurance policies.
- Settle any outstanding taxes with the local and government tax authorities.
- Request a possible refund of rent.
- Claim refunds for any paid subscriptions.
- Claim any savings or balance on loyalty cards.
- Notify postal authorities of your change of address.
- Return or request house keys to/from your neighbors.
- Cancel or reschedule any appointments that fall after your departure.
- Find a safe place for your pets to stay during the move to reduce stress for both them and yourself.
- Arrange for the collection of the last garbage.
- If you are taking a motor vehicle, make sure to deregister it with the relevant authorities.
It is important to keep all essential documents, including tickets, passports, credit cards, and travel insurance papers, separately to avoid them being accidentally packed by us.
ELP MOVING checklist
At ELP MOVING, we understand that moving can be a hectic and stressful time, which is why we’ve compiled a detailed personal checklist to help ensure that your move is as smooth as possible. Please take a few minutes to review this checklist and make a final check shortly before your departure.
Make sure you have the following with you if these documents are applicable for your destination:
- A valid passport for each family member. Please ensure that your children have passports of their own.
- International inoculation documents.
- Marriage certificate.
- Health certificates for each family member.
- A statement from your physician, dentist, and medical specialist with relevant data about the entire family and a translated copy of prescriptions.
- Work contract or any other relevant document from your future employer.
- Diplomas, certificates, and other qualifications.
- Any references with certified translations.
- For your children: a statement from their school with results and type of education followed, as well as any diplomas or certificates they hold.
- Address list of relatives, friends, and acquaintances.
- Hotel reservations.
- Travel arrangements and documents for the entire journey.
- Details of your travel insurance.
- The inventory list of your household goods shipment and/or unaccompanied luggage (which will be issued by ELP MOVING).
- Keys to your suitcases and personal baggage.
- Insurance certificates.
- Sufficient cash for boarding and landing tax.
- Credit cards and telephone numbers of your credit card companies.
ELP MOVING Contact:
- Name and contact information of your move coordinator at ELP MOVING.
We hope that this checklist helps you to feel more organized and prepared for your move with ELP MOVING. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact your move coordinator.
Some guidelines to follow when preparing your belongings for storage.
- Separate the items that will go into storage from those that won’t. Use stickers to label the items you want to store and/or ship. This will help movers identify the items that need to be stored.
- Make sure that all items are dry and clean before placing them in storage. This will prevent any damage that can be caused by moisture or dirt.
- For woolen items such as curtains, clothing, and tapestries, it is essential to clean them thoroughly before storing them. Professional cleaning is recommended to reduce the risk of damage caused by moths.
- To prevent mildew, ensure that all appliances such as the fridge, freezer, stove, and dishwasher are thoroughly cleaned both inside and out. Don’t forget to clean the filters and rubber parts.
- It is recommended that you place moisture-absorbing materials such as tights with kitty litter or grinded coffee in the appliances.
- Don’t forget to remove the dust bag from your vacuum cleaner and clean wastebaskets and trash cans.
- Remove batteries from electrical appliances to prevent any damage from leaking batteries.
- If you have items that you will need to access more frequently, inform us so that we can store them in an accessible area in the warehouse.
If you have any questions or need advice on preparing your belongings for storage, please feel free to ask us.
We are here to help!
Working with us will ensure:
- Timely delivery of your belongings, so you can be sure that they’ll arrive when you need them.
- Expert handling of customs procedures, ensuring that your move is free from unexpected problems or delays.
- No wasted time, as we work efficiently to make sure that your move is completed as quickly as possible.
- No unnecessary financial losses, thanks to our competitive pricing and careful management of your move.
Certificates and awards
Find out how much your move will cost
Submit details about your move for a free consultation and no obligations quote. We will calculate a completely personalised quote based on information you provide.